Frequently Asked Questions
Open AllClose All
- Where is Kalinago Barana Autê?
- Kalinago Barana Autê is situated in the small hamlet of Crayfish River in the Kalinago Territory.
- What is Kalinago Barana Autê?
- Generally speaking, Kalinago Barana Autê is a cultural village where the visitor is given the opportunity to experience and appreciate the rich cultural heritage of the Kalinago people.
- Does one have to pay to enter the village?
- Yes, non nationals pay US $8 or EC $21 or € 7 per person. Nationals pay EC $5 effective October 1st, 2006. In addition, all guided tours are at the rate of US $2 0r EC $5 per person.
- What activities are available on site?
- On a daily basis, (October to April), one can witness traditional basket weaving, Cassava bread and farine production, and traditional pottery making. Other activities include presentations on traditional fishing, canoe building, coconut and calabash art.
- Are cultural performances staged daily?
- Unfortunately, no. Cultural performances are available upon prior request or to groups with a minimum of thirty (30) persons. Special arrangements can be made in this regard. Please contact us if interested.
- What are the business hours at Kalinago Barana Autê?
- Our business hours are 9 am – 5 pm daily.
- What shopping facilities are available at Kalinago Barana Autê?
If you are in search of quality, original, and genuine local art & craft at affordable prices, then Kalinago Barana Autê is your one stop shop. In addition to the traditional Kalinago baskets; calabash art, wood carvings, coconut art & craft, and traditionally made pottery items are all made available at very attractive prices.
- How long does a tour of the facility take?
- A typical tour of the facility takes forty five minutes (45) to 1 hour. Usually before the tour, a ten (10) minute DVD presentation is shown in the interpretation center.
- What about tour guiding?
- Guiding services are mandatory and are provided by our very own, knowledgeable Kalinago people.
- Are there restaurant facilities on site?
- Yes, our restaurant & bar specializes in local foods and drinks. We also cater for large groups upon special request.
Should you have any additional questions, please contact us here at Kalinago Barana Autê.