Karina Cultural Group Entertains visitor at the Kalinago Barana Autê
The Karina Cultural Group hosts the annual Miss Kalinago and Princess Natari Cultural show in the Carib Territory.
About Karina Cultural Group
The Karina Cultural Group, under the leadership of Mr. Gerard and Mrs. Miranda Langlais, is a young, vibrant indigenous group from the Kalinago Territory which started on July 13, 1992 with a meager membership of seven conscious and culturally minded individuals of the Territory. Presently, the group is at a membership of 20 individuals.
The main aim of the group is to revive, help and maintain past traditions through song, dance, herbal medicine, and some aspects of the ancient Kalinago language which is hoped to bring awareness to the young and upcoming generation.
The group has successfully achieved its many tours and plans including:
- The construction of a solid base for practice sessions, group meetings and for hosting various activities of the group. This area is popularly known as the Karina Cultural Village in Bataca.
- Hosting of the annual Miss Kalinago and princess Natari shows.
- They have also successfully completed two South American tours including countries such as Surinam, Guyana, French-Guiana and Trinidad in the year 2001 and 2002 respectively.
- Performed in the Caribbean Festival of Arts held in St. Kitts and Nevis in 2000
- Toured and performed in the French territories of Guadeloupe and Martinique on several occasions.
- Community contribution - Youth Development Division
- E.O Leblanc for cultural contribution during Dominica's 23 rd, Independence Anniversary
- Golden drama awards ( special recognition ) for cultural development
The group is now walking in the footsteps of their Kalinago ancestors with the hope of continuing connection of indigenous blood brothers and sisters in Central America, Canada, the United States and the world over.